Go into any Indian restaurant, and you can bet they have Butter Chicken on the menu. With our Butter Chicken Mix, you can recreate this dish in your home.
If you prefer a vegetarian version, substitute the meat with Paneer.
Serves 4 when accompanied with a salad and Basmati Rice
- 1 pound chicken cut into bite sized pieces. You can also use bone-in meat, but we prefer boneless skinless meat.
- 2 tablespoons Chicken Marinade
- 1/4 cup Greek full-fat yoghurt (optional)
- 4 tablespoons ghee or butter plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter Chicken Mix
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 tablespoons crushed cashews (optional)
- Marinate the chicken in the Chicken Marinade for at least a half hour. You can add yoghurt if you like
- In a pot on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon ghee or butter and the oil
- Add the marinated chicken along with all the marination liquid, and stir regularly until mostly cooked through
- Transfer to a bowl
- In the same pot, on low heat, add the remaining 4 tablespoons ghee or butter
- In a small bowl, mix the Butter Chicken Mix with 2 tablespoons water until it forms a paste
- Carefully add to pot and stir for a minute
- Add tomato sauce and stir until butter separates from sauce
- Add chicken and cream and stir until thoroughly mixed
- Transfer to serving bowl and use the reserved cream for garnish
- Serve with warm naan and Basmati Rice