There is a certain mystique, a certain aroma associated with basmati rice. Gorgeous long-grain rice and the scent of cardamom and cinnamon…
We prepare it either plain (for normal, everyday eating) or pumped up with our Basmati Rice Whole Spice Mix for when we want to be a little fancy.
- 1 Single-Serve Packet Basmati Rice Whole Spice Mix
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice (or long-grain rice)
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee or butter (can use oil too)
- 2 cups water (room temperature)
- Rinse rice under warm water until water runs clear
- Drain and set aside
- In a pot over medium heat, melt ghee
- Add Single-Serve Packet Basmati Rice Whole Spice Mix and stir until fragrant (this really just takes a few seconds)
- Add drained rice and stir for a minute or two
- Add 2 cups water and turn up heat to medium high, stir once to mix everything
- Let pot boil until water is below rice level and there are bubbles on the surface – this should take around 10-15 minutes, depending on your pot and your stove heat level
- Stir once more and turn heat to simmer
- Cover and let simmer for around 15 minutes or until rice is between al-dente and soft. You still want to see the lovely long grains and not mush
- Serve as an accompaniment to any of our meat or vegetarian dishes.